My Pre-Motherhood Misconceptions

Before I was a mother I had a lot of assumptions and misconceptions about what it was going to be like.

When I was pregnant I rubbed my ever-swelling stomach and day dreamed of rosy cheeks and long naps. Sweet smelling baby clothes and tiny toes.

What I got was a colicky, refluxy baby that, most of the time, smelled of sour milk and never seemed to stop crying.

I spent countless hours doing laundry and picking up toys over and over again as quickly as they could be dumped out onto the floor. I wiped up spills and crumbs on an endless loop. Scrubbed crayon from the wall, and once had to actually scoop poop off a mattress.

Motherhood was a lot messier than I expected it to be. For my house, for my car, and for my heart.

Was it worth it? Totally! But, I also like to think back to the girl who once dreamed of being a mother. And I’d like to tell her that it’s not going to be anything like she had thought.

I wish I could go back to those infant days and tell myself I needed to eat. To nap when the baby napped. To go ahead and let the dishes pile up and enjoy those tiny baby snuggles. Because before I knew it I went from sleep-deprived newborn Mommy, to crazed Mom with an armful of wriggling toddler.

Time has still not slowed. And as the mom of an active Kindergartner, I wake up every day and wonder where the heck the time has gone.

How can such long stressful days make for such short years?

I will probably be awakened tomorrow by a high-schooler and then attend his wedding next week. As least that’s what it feels like sometimes.

But until then, when I’m cursing the clock for moving so slow, I’ll remind myself of how quickly it has really went. And wish for time to stay still for just a moment longer.

It didn’t turn out anything like I thought it would- but somehow it is so much better!

13 Comments

1. Brittany

April 2, 2018 at 9:37 am

Time goes by too quickly!!

2. Jaclyn Musselman

April 2, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Life since having kids has gone way too quickly!! It is hard not to get too sentimental.

1. mrsbishop

April 2, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Amen. Sometimes it feels like it drags on forever, and the next thing you know, you’re on to the next stage!

3. Julie Hamilton

April 2, 2018 at 6:26 pm

There are some things no one can teach you except being a parent! My college daughter came home yesterday with a list of what “appropriate” parenting was…and informed us that we’ve done everything on the “not appropriate” list — yelled, pinched, swatted…lol. Oh boy..she’ll learn one day! lol!

1. mrsbishop

April 2, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Hahahhaha- oh boy, she’ll learn! lol

4. Aly Funk

April 3, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Oh, my goodness! Yes to all of this! It’s crazy how motherhood isn’t necessarily what you think it’s going to be, but it is wonderful!

5. Nicole Banuelos

April 3, 2018 at 1:07 pm

These are my thoughts exactly! Now that my kids are toddlers people would assume my house might be a little cleaner but nope, my kids are like tornados. I no longer feel guilty about a messy house or dishes in the sink. lol

6. Rachel

April 3, 2018 at 9:07 pm

So true. I got slapped in the face with motherhood. As I sit here expecting number three in just a few months, I pray and pray that I won’t get a colicky baby for the third time…. I’ll take all day laundry and chaos. But please no colic!!

1. mrsbishop

April 4, 2018 at 11:06 am

Praying for no colic girl, I wouldn’t wish that on my enemies! lol

7. Aseky Bonnaire

April 3, 2018 at 9:43 pm

Just the thought of my boys growing up and getting married makes me want to snuggle them more now! But you are so right, motherhood is not what I imagined it be! It’s so much better but way less glamorous lol.

1. mrsbishop

April 4, 2018 at 11:06 am

SO much less glamorous! lol

8. Courtney

April 4, 2018 at 1:29 pm

I love this so much! It’s so easy to relate, as a mama of two. I’m always talking about how quickly time has gone. You really don’t understand it until you experience it for yourself.