a horrible experience!

I feel like I haven’t had time to post forever, but something happened to me last week that I just had to share. My sister and law (SIL)and I were together at a Mary Kay meeting (which we just started recently selling), when my brother called. All he said was that we needed to come home, because one of their kids (they have four little boys) was hurt badly and an ambulance was on the way. We were almost 1/2 an hour away, so I drove as fast as I could while my SIL was in hysterics, trying to get my brother to tell her the details.
Apparently after he put my 2 year old nephew down for bed, the little guy decided to try to climb his dresser instead of going to sleep. On top of said dresser was a fish tank with about 4 inches of water in it, and the boys’ two pet turtles. As he was climbing the dresser, he pulled the whole thing over onto himself, and the tank fell on his face and shattered. The poor little guy was bleeding everywhere and my brother had to call an ambulance.
On our way there, I was trying to stay calm, but was panicking inside. My SIL was crying inconsolably. She called my brother to check in and we could hear the EMT’s in the background on the phone, saying it wasn’t fatal, but he was going to need a lot of stitches. That calmed us down just a little bit, and we made it to the hospital shortly after the ambulance (it actually passed us on the highway).
The poor little guy was cut all over his face and a couple of scratches on his head. His lip was completely cut in one spot vertically, and split in two. A small piece of his nose was completely separated from his face, and he had a huge laceration on one of his cheeks. I was terrified, I had never, ever seen anything like it. And, let me just say, I do not do well with blood. But, his parents were panicked, so I stayed calm and talked to him, while they bandaged him up.
The doctor decided he needed to go to Riley (a children’s hospital about an hour away) and have a plastic surgeon stitch him up, they didn’t want him to scar badly since he is so young, and they didn’t want his smile to be messed up for life. Once everything calmed down, the nurse looked at me and said, “I know it doesn’t seem like it now, but you should all be very thankful that where his cuts are, they won’t cause any problems.” What a sigh of relief. He may have looked terrible, but Thank God, he was alive!
He has over 60 stitches in his little face, but the plastic surgeon did an AMAZING job. The cut in his face was just shy of cutting his nerve that causes you to show emotion/smile, and it missed it. His nose and lip, other than the swelling, are already returning to look like normal. I know someone was watching over my lil nephew that night. I thank God that he may be hurting, but he is alive and will still lead a normal life, with minimal scarring- maybe none at all when he is older.
I know it seems like a horrific experience, but I am so Thankful that he is okay. I would like to ask for those that do so to pray for him, and his parents, who were so traumatized by the whole ordeal. My brother is getting rid of pretty much everything glass they own and replacing it with plastic, even his brand new entertainment center. I think they realized how lucky they were, and now they are going into super protect mode- I would totally be doing the same thing.
I just had to share this experience, and show that even in hard times, God is good- and he will watch over the ones that you love!


  1. Lenzey

    May 3, 2011 at 9:39 pm

    I cannot even begin to imagine what they must've felt like. You're an amazing sister/aunt, lady… praise God for His grace that night, and during the healing process for all involved.

  2. AnotherDreamer

    May 3, 2011 at 10:58 pm

    I saw you post this on FB, so so so very scary!!! I am so thankful he is going to be okay.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.