What I’ve Learned in My 28 Years

Today is my birthday so I thought I’d share some words of wisdom that I’ve acquired over this first part of my life…

• Overalls are never a good idea- unless you’re a toddler
  • A good pair of shoes can make any outfit work.
  • Don’t diet- eat healthy and exercise, but eat that brownie every now and again.
  • Hug your Grandparents and visit them often. I’ve learned the hard way that they’re not around forever.
  • Say “I Love You” as often as you can.
  • Say I’m sorry, even when you’re not sorry- but especially when you are…..I’m working REALLLLLLY hard on this one.
  • Rock your babies and hold them close- you’ll blink and they’ll be walking. Then talking. Then going to school.
  • Leave the dishes and read a book. Take a little time for yourself.
  • Learn to cook really delicious food- you’ll save lots of money from not ordering out.
  • Surround yourselves with likeminded friends.
  • Put yourself out there. I’ve made my closest friends by breaking out of my shell and being real and transparent.
  • Find your “thing”. And do what you love.
  • Enjoy the little things and find the beauty in the everyday.

I feel like 28 is going to be the best year yet. I’m more comfortable with who I am than I ever have been. I’m doing what I love. I’m loving what I do!

Here’s to another 28 years- and hopefully lots more!!!

And don’t forget to check out My Birthday Wish List.

12 Comments

1. T Austin

July 15, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Saying you’re sorry even when you’re not. That one is so hard but so important!

1. mrsbishop

July 15, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Yes- sometimes you’ve got to say it and move on. Working on it- I hate saying I’m sorry!

2. Astrid

July 15, 2015 at 2:17 pm

These are some great pieces of wisdom you share with us! I have to say, re saying you’re sorry, you can actually say this too often. I tend to think I’m doing something wrong when I’m not and then I apologize. It annoys my husband to no end.

1. mrsbishop

July 15, 2015 at 8:01 pm

I agree- there are definitely two types of people. It’s all about balance.

3. Iyanna

July 15, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Nice and simple wisdom! One of the hardest things for me is saying I’m sorry as well!

1. mrsbishop

July 15, 2015 at 8:01 pm

yes- why is it SO hard?!

4. Helen Olivas

July 15, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I’m working on learning to cook. I think instead of dieting, if you learn and choose your own recipes you’ll save money AND eat healthily.

1. mrsbishop

July 15, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Yes, and feel accomplished having made it yourself! 🙂

5. Lindsay

July 15, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Happy Birthday!! 🙂

Confession: I still have a pair of old Hilfiger overalls. hahhahaha

Don’t diet- eat healthy and exercise, but eat that brownie every now and again. <— Totally agree
    I'm painfully aware that I have no grandparents left and I miss them dearly, especially my mom's mom. We used to spend summers together as a child and I'll never forget those days.

Do what you love – life is short. Live, don't watch life pass you by…

Awesome post girl! xo

1. mrsbishop

July 15, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Thanks! Glad you liked it! 🙂

6. Nina

July 15, 2015 at 7:28 pm

I love all this advice. Especially the bit about breaking out of your shell. I definitely need reminders to do that more often. My birthday is this weekend and this post made me think about what I’ve learned in my almost 32 years. Happy Birthday!

1. mrsbishop

July 15, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Happy Early Bday to you! And it has been so hard for me to break out of my shell, but I’ve found that I miss out on relationships if I don’t.